Khor Virap, Areni ancient cave, Noravank, Winery
– Departure from the your hotel
– This day will start with a visit to Khor Virap Monastery, on the territory of which, according to legend, there was a deep dungeon for mortal prisoners (“khor virap” translated from Armenian means “deep pit/dungeon”), where our first Catholicos (Patriarch) Gregory the Illuminator was thrown and where he spent 13 years. The sight also offers the best view of the biblical Mount Ararat.
– Later, you will visit the Bird Cave or Areni-1 Cave. This is a complex of caves, during the study of which scientists discovered several cultural layers, including clay buildings dating back to 4200 – 3500 BC. The oldest footwear from a solid piece of leather, which is 5,500 years old, was also found here.
– Afterwards, you will travel to Noravank Monastery. The road to Noravank goes through a beautiful canyon, the rocks of which abound with caves. In these caves, traces of human settlement of the 6th-5th millennia BC were found. Noravank, surrounded by bizarre red rocks, is considered to be one of the most beautiful monasteries in the world.
– In the same area you will visit winery Areni, and enjoy wine tasting.
– Return to Yerevan